How Aging Affects Your Nutritional Needs
You are what you eat takes on new meaning as you age and your nutrition needs change. Aging often means slowing down so your body no longer needs as many calories. Aging can also change your tastes or what your stomach/system can tolerate. All is not lost! With a little knowledge and planning you can make the most of the aging process and keep your body in optimal health.
How do your nutritional needs change?
According to Healthline’s article on aging and nutrition, “Eating healthy becomes especially important as you age. That’s because aging is linked to a variety of changes, including nutrient deficiencies, decreased quality of life and poor health outcomes.” They go on to talk about specific changes, like less stomach acid, muscle loss, and thinner skin.
What does this mean for your health? Obviously, none of us want to suffer the consequences of nutrient deficiencies or risk that our quality of life will decrease. But you can counteract this by eating a variety of foods, getting enough pure water to drink, and taking proper nutritional supplements. Lucky for you, Youngevity can help you in the supplement arena.
The right nutrients
The National Institute on Aging (NIA), recommends the following:
- Drink plenty of water – As you age your sense of thirst may diminish. To help with this, fill a bottle in the morning with the amount of water you need for the day and set reminders to drink throughout the day.
- Make eating a social event – The NIA says, “Meals are more enjoyable when you eat with others.” So, find some foodie friends so you can enjoy eating the foods you know your body needs, together.
- Plan healthy meals – This includes creating a meal plan and then shopping for items you need. Any prep work you can do in advance may make it easier to stick to your plan.
- Know how much to eat – remember, as your activity level goes down, so do your calorie needs.
- Vary your vegetables – Include a variety of vegetables of different colors, flavors, and textures. This way, you’re actually more likely to get the wide variety of nutrients your body needs.
- Use herbs and spices – These are great ways to add flavor to food and turn a simple meal into a more engaging experience.
We know that we are not getting all the nutrition we need from food alone, even if we are including a wide variety of fruits & vegetables in our diets. Youngevity’s 90 For Life should be a part of your daily routine to ensure you are getting the nutrition our bodies need to help keep us in optimal health. Make sure that if you take any medications, your doctor is aware of the supplements you are taking.
Aging is part of life, so embrace the process and make the most of your golden years with a healthy lifestyle that keeps your body moving and enjoying life!