Fueling Your Body for Summer Activities
Summer, and really any season, brings lots of activities that are often outside in the heat and consume our body’s energy. To fully enjoy your favorite activities, make sure you are providing fuel for your body through a variety of ways, including food and supplements.
Energy Boosting Nutrition Ideas
Keeping your body fueled properly goes a long way to giving you the energy you need any time of year. This includes consuming a variety of foods to make sure you have as many nutrients as possible. There are some things that you really need to pay attention to at times when the heat is zapping your body. Here’s a few things to keep in mind:
- Drink plenty of water. According to the CDC, you should hydrate before, during, and after an activity when it is hot. They also recommend water as your main source of hydration.
- Jazz up your water. If you struggle to drink enough water, infuse your water with fruits, it’s super easy. Grab a large container, fill it with water (and ice if you don’t have room in the fridge), and add slices of fruits or veggies like lemons, limes, watermelon, berries, cucumber, and even mint. Let it sit for an hour or two (the longer it sits, the more flavor you’ll have).
- Eat water-rich fruits and veggies. Prevention.com suggests eating fruits and veggies like watermelon, celery, oranges, and green peppers,, to name a few, which all have lots of nutrients as well as water.
- Pair protein with fruits and veggies. In the article from Prevention.com, they suggest pairing protein with fruits and vegetables to help keep your blood sugar levels stable.
Supplementing Your Diet
In a perfect world, the foods we eat would give us all the nutrients we need. Unfortunately, we don’t live in a perfect world. That’s where Youngevity’s vitamins and supplements help fill the gap. We always recommend following the 90 For Life protocol on a daily basis, but when you need more energy than it provides, here are vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients to explore for that extra boost of energy.
- Vitamin B12 – this vitamin helps keep your body’s nerves and blood cells healthy, which can factor into your energy levels. Check out these Youngevity products containing B12.
- Iron – if your blood is iron deficient, you’ll likely feel fatigue, any time of year. You’ll find plenty of Youngevity products with iron.
- Creatine – this is an amino acid found in many meats and fish and acts as a quick energy source in your body. Add one of these creatine containing Youngevity products to your routine.
- Beet powder – contains a high amount of nitrate, which helps relax blood vessels and increase blood flow and oxygen delivery. Youngevity CardioBeets definitely has lots of beet powder, but these products also help you get beet powder in your day.
- Coenzyme Q10 – this enzyme is an antioxidant that helps improve energy. Youngevity has a variety of products that include Coenzyme Q10.
- Vitamin D – this vitamin helps support healthy bones and muscles and when low, can result in muscle fatigue. Choose a one of these Youngevity products for vitamin D.
- Electrolytes – make sure you are replenishing your electrolytes. There are a few products from Youngevity that help with electrolytes, in addition to ElectroFuel.
Other Energy Boosting Ideas
Here are a few more things to keep in mind as your activity level increases.
- Get sufficient sleep. As daylight hours extend, we may find that we are not sleeping as much. Our body’s need sleep to rejuvenate and without it, we’ll definitely feel less energetic.
- Use essential oils. When you need a quick boost, sniff a refreshing essential oil like peppermint, sweet orange, lemon, or rosemary. You can mix them with a carrier oil and dab on your wrist so you can easily sniff them.
- Rest and cool down. It’s okay to take a quick nap or meditate for a few minutes. Also, try taking a cool shower, or wet your wrists with cold water. Even a quick swim, if that’s an option, can be so refreshing.
What is your favorite way to enjoy the summer and what do you do to stay energized? Whatever the activity, get the most out of it by keeping your body healthy and your energy up.