Teach your kids healthy habits outside of the classroom
Keep Your Kids Active During the School Year
Summer vacations and activities will soon come to an end, and then it’s back to school. And what kids do outside of the classroom matters. Your home is also a very important place where kids learn other important skills; like living a healthy, active lifestyle.
Many parents believe that Physical Education classes are responsible for keeping their children active. However, a one hour P.E. class realistically isn’t all its hyped up to be. P.E. classes usually consist of a 10 minutes of roll call, 15 minutes of show and tell and maybe 30 minutes of actual activity. In recent years, schools have gained a reputation of being less than effective at providing kids with their daily recommended exercise. As obesity rates in children continue to rise, it’s vital that parents promote physical activity at home.
Teaching your child how to be more active doesn’t mean you need to set an hour aside each day to teach them how to play tennis, basketball or soccer. All you really need it so add some physical activity to their daily routine that they can even do on their own.
A few ways to be active that don’t involve sports:
- Going for a walk, bike ride or simply playing on a swing set after dinner, even if it’s just for 15-20 minutes.
- Walking or riding your bikes to nearby restaurants, grocery stores or a friend’s house.
- Have kids try a variety of classes like dance, martial arts, or gymnastics; many yoga and CrossFit studios also offer kids classes.
- Plant a garden that they can tend to daily or on the weekends, and be proud of them when it grows.
- Be an active lifestyle model by yourself partaking in fitness classes, running, or biking. Children who witness their parents being active, also tend to me more active.
Establishing healthy, active habits at an early age can have a huge impact on the lives of your children. As they grow up, being active will be second nature to them and will help keep them healthy as well. To add to your kid’s active lifestyle, make sure they are well-equipped with proper nutrients to keep them healthy. Try our Super Kids bundle in our Summertime Gift Guide. It includes KidsSprinklz Watermen Mist multi-vitamin and Strawberry Mins minerals to support active, growing kids.
Being active is essential for healthy, growing kids! Prevention is the key!